I believe that it is beneficial to keep one’s set of beliefs to a minimum. So that is in fact my first belief:) Here is my list. With dates.
I’ll hope to revisit them from time to time:
- most problems/situations in life have no ideal solution. However, there are always multiple solutions with different tradeoffs. Any of the top solutions is fine. 2019-09-06
- I do not believe in absolute statements. E.g. when someone says “I’m empathetic person.” I think about those from two angles: 1) there are no absolutes, just sliders 2) those statements are context dependent. E.g. person can be empathetic in one situation, and very rough in other. 2019-09-06
- actions over words. Words people say do not matter much, what they do matters a lot. You are is what you do, not what you say. 2019-09-06
- communication is a proxy for care. If the person doesn’t communicate, they don’t care. 2019-09-07
- I don’t believe people who “care” about big things like climate, poverty, hunger, nature etc. I tend to notice that those people can’t care for their closest people or even for themselves. If I see that you can care about 1) yourself and 2) closest people, only then I would believe that you care about global issues. 2019-09-08